Blow dried hair can be a total game-changer when it comes to styling. It’s like giving your hair a fresh lease on life, adding volume, smoothness, and that extra oomph. But before you crank up that hair dryer, there are some important things on how to blow dry hair the right way that you must remember.
In this article, we’ll share some practical tips to remember before you start, and then we’ll walk you through how to blowdry your own hair like a pro right in the comfort of your home.
Tips to Remember Before You Blow Dry Hair
Here are some important points on blow dried hair that you must remember:
- Start with Clean Hair: It might sound obvious but it’s essential. Clean hair is the foundation when you want to blow dry hair. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual before you begin.
- Use a Heat Protectant: Heat can be harsh on your hair. Applying a heat protectant spray or serum before blow-drying creates a barrier, shielding your hair from damage.
- Towel Dry Gently: Don’t rub your hair vigorously with a towel. Instead, gently pat it dry to remove excess moisture. Less friction means less frizz.
- Detangle with Care: Use a wide-toothed comb or a detangling brush to work through any knots and tangles. Start from the end and work your way up to prevent breakage.
- Choose the Right Hair Dryer: Invest in a good-quality hair dryer with adjustable settings. Look for one with multiple heat and speed settings to cater to your hair type.
- Consider a Diffuser: If you have curly or wavy hair, a diffuser attachment can help maintain the natural texture of your blow dried hair while reducing frizz.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into sections before you start blow-drying. This makes the process more manageable and ensures every strand gets the attention it deserves.
How to Blow Dry Hair at Home?
Now that you’re armed with some essential tips let us understand how to blowdry your own hair at home:
Step 1: Prep Your Hair
- Apply a heat protectant evenly throughout your hair.
- Use a comb or brush to detangle your hair and remove any knots.
- Divide your hair into sections. A good rule of thumb is to start with four sections: two on each side and two in the back.
Step 2: Start with Low Heat
- Begin with your hair dryer on the lowest heat setting. High heat can be damaging, so it’s best to start gently.
- Hold the dryer at least 6 inches away from your hair to prevent overheating.
Step 3: Begin Drying
- Start with one section of your hair. Hold it taut with a brush or comb and aim the dryer downward, following the brush or comb as you go.
- Move the dryer in a continuous motion, working from roots to ends. This helps to smooth the hair cuticle and reduce frizz.
- Repeat this process for each section until your hair is somewhat dry.
Step 4: Add Volume
- For added volume, flip your head upside down and continue blow-drying your hair in the same way. This can create lift at the roots.
- Once you’re satisfied with the volume, flip your hair back into its natural position.
Step 5: Cool Shot
- Most hair dryers have a cool shot button. Use it to blast cool air through your hair for a few seconds. This helps to set your style and lock in the shine.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
- If you want a sleek look, you can run a straightening iron through your hair at this point.
- Finish with a light spritz of hairspray to hold your style in place.
Blow-drying your hair at home doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the right techniques and a little practice, you can achieve salon-quality results in the comfort of your own space. Remember to start with clean, protected hair, use the right tools, and take your time to ensure a smooth and shiny finish. So, go ahead, grab your hair dryer, and let your hair shine!