Achieving the perfect hair is not all about choosing the suitable hair mask, shampoo, or conditioner. You need to take care of your diet and ensure you are eating proper food that provides the right nutrition to support your hair health from the inside. This is where the inclusion of vitamin B12 for hair in your diet comes into discussion. So, read on to learn about the benefits vitamin B12 brings to better your hair health over time and how you can incorporate it into your diet.
Benefits of Vitamin B12 for Hair Growth
Vitamin B12 is also known as cobalamin and it is one of the most important vitamins for the human body to function properly. Among all its important functions, taking care of the hair is one the major ones. Here are some of the benefits of using vitamin B12 for hair:
1. Prevents Hair Loss
The foremost advantage of vitamin B12 for hair is its ability to control hair fall. Research has revealed that people with a deficiency of vitamin B12 are more prone to hair loss. Vitamin B12 is essential in preventing hair loss as it helps in RBC (red blood cell) formation, which in turn, supplies oxygen to our hair follicles. Since oxygen keeps the follicles healthy and strong, it reduces hair fall.
2. Moisturizes Hair
Vitamin B12 hair loss solution is not the only plus point. This vitamin also helps in preserving the moisture within your hair. Due to pollution, your hair loses the required moisture and vitamin B12 helps in preventing the dryness of hair. It also helps in melanin production. Notably, melanin is an element that contributes to the black pigmentation of hair and maintains its shine.
3. Strengthens Hair
Vitamin B12 increases the oxygen supply to hair follicles as B 12 stimulates RBC production, it provides the required strength to your hair.
4. Helps in Preventing Premature Graying of Hair
One of the other ways that vitamin B12 helps hair health is by reducing premature graying. With age, graying of hair is a natural occurrence. But, visibly graying hair at a younger age is not good news. Vitamin B12 helps maintain your hair by reducing homocysteine levels and providing luster, moisture, and strength.
Foods Rich in Vitamin B12 for Hair Growth
Here’s a list of foods that are rich vitamin B12 and should be a part of your diet plan:
- Fish: Fish such as salmon, trout, sardines, and tuna contain a good amount of vitamin B12. Canned or smoked fish also provide this nutrient.
- Meat: Poultry, beef, and lamb are good sources of vitamin B12. Lean cuts of meat, such as skinless chicken breast, are generally healthier choices.
- Eggs: The yolk of an egg contains vitamin B12. Consuming whole eggs, rather than just the whites, ensures you receive this nutrient.
- Dairy products: Milk, cheese, and yogurt are decent sources of vitamin B12. Opt for low-fat or skim options to limit saturated fat intake.
- Fortified foods: Some plant-based foods, such as breakfast cereals, plant-based milk alternatives (soy, almond, or coconut milk), and nutritional yeast, are often fortified with vitamin B12.
- Supplements: If you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet or have difficulty obtaining sufficient vitamin B12 through food sources, consider taking a vitamin B12 supplement after consulting with a healthcare professional.
Vitamin B12 is a necessary element for keeping your hair healthy. It helps in protecting the natural color and shine of hair. There are other benefits as well. A sufficient inclusion of food rich in vitamin B12 and a hair care routine will ensure the best quality hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much vitamin B12 can I take in the diet?
You should consult a doctor to decide the vitamin B12 dosage that is ideal for you.
What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
There are many signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, like hair loss, hair breakage, and loss of natural hair color or premature graying of hair.
Should I take supplements for vitamin B12?
You can definitely take vitamin B12 supplements, but before doing that consult a doctor to decide the dosage.