Hair brushes are essential tools for maintaining healthy hair, but they can quickly accumulate dirt, oil, and product residue over time. Regularly cleaning your hair brushes not only keeps your hair looking its best but also ensures the longevity of your brushes. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to clean a hairbrush effectively.
Cleaning Paddle Brushes
Paddle brushes are known for their wide, flat surface, which makes them ideal for detangling and smoothing. Let’s see how to clean this hair brush:
- Remove Hair: Use a comb or your fingers to gently remove the hair from the bristles.
- Prepare Soapy Water: Fill a bowl with warm water and a few drops of mild shampoo.
- Soak the Brush: Let the brush soak in the soapy water for 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub the Bristles: Use an old toothbrush to gently scrub between the bristles.
- Rinse and Dry: Rinse the brush thoroughly with clean water and let it air dry.
Washing Round Brushes
Round brushes are perfect for creating volume and curls. Here’s how to clean them:
- Remove Hair: Carefully unwind the hair from the brush and dispose of it.
- Soak in Warm Water: Fill a basin with warm water and add a few drops of shampoo.
- Scrub and Rinse: Use your fingers to scrub the bristles while soaking, then rinse.
- Clean the Barrel: If your round brush has a metal barrel, wipe it with a cloth damped in rubbing alcohol. Gently wipe off the product residue, oils, or accumulated buildup.
- Dry Properly: Shake off excess water and allow the brush to dry with bristles facing down.
Maintaining Cushion Brushes
Cushion brushes are gentle on the scalp and great for everyday use. Here’s how to keep them clean:
- Remove Hair: Gently pull out the hair entangled in the bristles.
- Create a Cleaning Solution: Mix warm water with a few drops of shampoo.
- Cleanse the Bristles: Dip an old toothbrush in the soapy water and scrub the bristles.
- Wipe the Base: Dampen a cloth with the soapy solution and wipe the cushion and base.
- Final Rinse: Rinse the brush under running water and pat dry with a towel.
Caring for Natural Bristle Brushes
Natural bristle brushes are delicate and require special care:
- Hair Removal: Eliminate hair from the brush by hand or with a wide-tooth comb.
- Gentle Cleansing: Mix mild shampoo with water and swish the brush gently.
- Rinse Carefully: Thoroughly rinse to prevent water from soaking into the bristles.
- Towel Dry: Gently squeeze out excess water and wrap the brush in a towel.
- Air Drying: Allow the brush to air dry, bristle-side down, to avoid mildew.
Now that you know how to clean a comb that is made for different types of hair and hairstyles, regularly cleaning your hair brushes will ensure that they remain effective in maintaining your hair’s health. Make these cleaning routines a part of your hair care regimen for salon-worthy results every day.