Dealing with oily hair can be a daily struggle for many individuals. Excessive oil production on the scalp leads to hair that looks greasy, flat, and lacking vitality. While there are numerous commercial products available to combat oily hair, you may prefer to explore natural home remedies for oily hair that are gentler on your hair and scalp.
In this article, we will discuss several effective home remedies for greasy hair that can help you achieve a fresh and balanced mane. Read on to find out!
Home Remedies to Try for Oily Hair
Here are some of the best remedies for oily hair that you can easily try out at home:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): Apple cider vinegar is a versatile ingredient for oily scalp treatment at home that offers many benefits. Its acidic properties help restore the pH balance of the scalp and regulate oil production. ACV can remove excess oil and leave your hair feeling clean and refreshed.
- To use ACV, mix one part vinegar with two parts water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- After shampooing, spray it onto your scalp and hair, ensuring even distribution.
- Leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Multani Mitti: We are aware of the amazing benefits of Multani mitti for skin but surprisingly it works wonders for the hair as well. Using it as a hair pack can help you effectively cleanse the dandruff, debris, and sebum and fight against the oiliness.
- To make this hair pack, you need to soak Multani mitti in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Make sure you are mixing it well in order to get a fine consistency, making it look like a paste.
- You can now carefully put this paste on your scalp and spread it gently.
- Now, you need to leave it for 20 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash it off.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is one of the most renowned oily scalp home remedies, primarily due to its antimicrobial, anti inflammatory and cleansing properties. It can effectively combat scalp issues such as dandruff and fungal infections that contribute to oily hair. Tea tree oil helps regulate oil production, soothes the scalp, and promotes healthier-looking hair.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp, focusing on the roots.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe vera gel is a natural ingredient most commonly used in home remedies for greasy hair. It can help control excess oil and nourish the scalp. It contains enzymes that cleanse the scalp and remove oil buildup, while its moisturizing properties prevent the hair from becoming dry and brittle. Aloe vera gel can soothe the scalp, reduce oiliness, and leave your hair feeling hydrated and balanced.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Egg White Mask: Egg whites are popular as an oily scalp treatment at home due to their ability to absorb excess oil and impurities from the hair and scalp. Egg whites can help remove excess oil, add volume to your hair, and leave it looking fresher and less greasy.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat them until frothy.
- Apply the egg whites to your scalp and hair, massaging gently.
- Leave the mask on for about 20 minutes, then rinse with cool water and shampoo as usual.
In addition to these oily scalp home remedies you can also occasionally dry shampoo your hair between washes. This powder or spray is designed to refresh and cleanse the hair without washing it. Simply spray the product onto your roots, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then brush it out for a refreshed look!
Incorporating these home remedies for oily hair and following a suitable hair care routine can help you manage oily hair effectively. Remember that results may vary and it’s important to experiment and find what works best for your hair type. But do embrace the natural power of these oily scalp home remedies and say goodbye to greasy locks, welcoming healthier hair.