People have different hair types, such as curly, straight, wavy, thin, oily and each hair type has specific needs. There are different types of hair styling tools and products available in the market to make your hair more manageable and beautiful. However, excess use of these hair styling products and tools may lead to hair damage. This article will reveal all about them and how you can follow some quick tips to style your hair without causing too much damage to your mane.
Reasons Why Hair Styling Products are Bad for You
There are different types of hair styling products and tools available in the market, such as hair gel, hair spray, hair wax, hair straightener, etc. When you start styling your hair very often, you will notice more hair fall, frizzy hair, dandruff, split ends, and other hair problems. Listed below are some reasons why these products lead to hair damage:
- Presence of chemical components in all hair styling products, hair dyes, hair sprays, or hair gel. These chemicals can weaken the hair roots and cause hair breakage.
- Hair styling tools use heat, such as hair curlers, ironing machines, and blow dryers. Heat can make your hair dry and damaged.
- Too much pulling and tugging of hair during styling can loosen the hair strands. The hair follicles tend to get damaged and hair growth is hampered.
- Hair styling also increases the risk of scalp infections. Due to the presence of excess chemicals in the products, it may cause irritation, dandruff and itching.
- Not only chemicals, but most hair styling products also contain alcohol which dries up the scalp. It causes hair to become brittle and strips off the natural moisture from the scalp.
These are the main reasons why it is best to limit the use of hair styling products.
Tips on Styling Hair Without Causing Damage
You may follow these tips while styling your hair, to reduce hair damage:
- Always use a microfiber towel to dry your hair. Wrap it up for some time or allow your hair to air-dry, instead of using a hair dryer.
- Do not brush wet hair as it can break more easily. However, people with curly or textured hair should brush their hair when wet to reduce hair breakage.
- Reduce the use of styling products that claim to maintain hair hold. It makes hair stiff and damages the hair roots.
- Build up of hair styling products can block pores and damage your hair, always wash your hair thoroughly after using these products.
- Set the heat to low or medium while using hair straighteners or flat irons. You should use heat protectant sprays to minimize hair damage.
- When using a curling iron, leave it in place for a second or two and not more than that.
- Do not style your hair for a long time, like braids, ponytails, these styles exert a tight pull on the hair and can cause hair breakage.
Even though hair styling can cause quite some damage to your hair, you can use hair styling products once in a while. Try using them with caution and see how these tips work for you. If you see severe hair damage which does not improve even after changing your hair care routine, consult a certified dermatologist. The root cause of your hair damage must be treated timely to better your results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Are all hair types suitable for hair styling?
Ans. All types of hair can be styled using a variety of products and tools. However, hair that is already dry and damaged should not be styled as it will cause further hair damage.
Q2. Should I avoid using hair styling products every day?
Ans. Yes, using hair styling products every day is harmful, they cause build-up on the scalp which cannot be washed off easily. It can also damage your hair and scalp in extreme cases.
Q3. What are the side effects of using hair gel?
Ans. Hair gel side effects on hair can be many, including dehydrated hair shafts, dry scalp, and dandruff, it also triggers hair fall and speeds up hair graying.