Coconut milk for hair is one of the primary solutions when seeking a natural way of improving your hair quality. Coconut milk is derived from the white flesh of the coconut, which contains nutrients like vitamins, phosphorus, iron, zinc, and magnesium. The nutrient value of coconut milk aids in treating various hair problems like dryness, frizzy hair, split ends, and more.
The nutritional and flavor profile of coconut milk made it a popular choice traditionally to be used for culinary purposes, like adding it to coffee, soups, and other dishes. However, when it comes to hair health, coconut milk plays the role of a savior in restoring moisture and providing strength to the hair. If you already have poor hair health, it will be beneficial, as the protein and vitamins in it will help you rebuild damaged strands.
Benefits of Coconut Milk for Hair
The aqueous extract of coconut’s solid endosperm (kernel) is known as coconut milk. Coconut milk has been used for a long time to control high BP and maintain good heart health, and it also provides some hair benefits. Coconut milk benefits for hair are the following:
- Coconut milk is a rich source of lauric acid, which is full of antimicrobial properties that help prevent infections in the scalp.
- The vitamin E present in coconut milk helps prevent hair damage. It resists free radicals generated by heat and pollution, and promotes healthier hair while preventing damage. Vitamin C, B12, and minerals like zinc and iron in coconut milk help arrest hair loss. Moreover, these nutritional properties are essential to nourish your hair and scalp.
- Coconut milk locks in moisture in the hair. It plays an essential role in preventing hair damage and helps moisturize dry hair.
How to Use Coconut Milk for Hair Growth
You can definitely use coconut milk and related products for your hair’s health. Know some of the coconut milk uses for hair –
- You can apply a homemade hair mask (made with coconut milk, yogurt, and honey) to your scalp and hair — from the roots to the end.
- Trying a shampoo and conditioner made with coconut oil or milk will be a great option.
- For scalp treatment, you can use pure coconut milk on your scalp.
- To get better results from within, you can include coconut milk in your diet and consume it regularly.
- For maximum results, use the coconut flesh directly on your scalp by making a paste with water.
Coconut milk is undeniably beneficial to your hair. After just a few applications, you will observe the positive effect of coconut milk for hair. Along with improving blood circulation in the scalp, it fights against dandruff and dryness of the hair.
Coconut milk does not have any side effects, though if you experience any reaction, consult a dermatologist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Does coconut milk affect hair growth?
Ans: Yes, coconut milk encourages hair growth by increasing blood circulation in the scalp.
Q2. Is coconut milk good for hair?
Ans: Coconut milk nourishes the scalp and protects hair strands from breakage and damage. Also, regular use improves your overall hair health.
Q3. Can I drink coconut milk for hair benefits?
Ans: Drinking coconut milk will recover the conditions affecting hair health from within and encourage better hair.
Q4. What are the side effects of coconut milk on hair?
Ans: Topical use of hair coconut milk has no serious issues except allergies. But drinking coconut milk regularly can cause weight gain and may lead to high cholesterol levels in blood sugar.