Hair-related problems are prevalent across the world but there are multiple options to recover from this. Using castor oil for hair is considered one of the best home remedies.
The nutrient-dense oil, extracted from castor beans, has been used for its potential healing ingredients. This can help to solve any problem from the root. Its antiviral and antimicrobial properties make it advantageous for skin health. Furthermore, it is instrumental for hair growth too.
Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair
The benefits of castor oil are plenty and it ensures your hair health in the long term. Among the plenty of benefits, the top 5 castor oil benefits for hair have been discussed below:
- Keeps Hair Hydrated: The main ingredient in castor oil is ricinoleic acid which is a natural emollient for hair. Along with omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids, it locks the moisture in hair and provides a natural look.
- Maintains Hair Health: Oleic and linoleic acids of castor oil for hair keep hair healthy and shiny. When you massage your scalp with this oil, it boosts blood circulation, leading to hair growth. The emollient properties of castor oil make it the best option for damaged and dry hair.
- Treats the Scalp with Antifungal Properties: You might experience scalp infections in the rainy and winter season, which increase dandruff, itching, eruptions, etc. The application of castor oil reduces fungal infections by arresting the growth of bacteria. The usage of castor oil for hair reduces inflammation caused by seborrheic dermatitis and eczema.
- Rich in vitamin E: Castor oil is high in vitamin E and fatty acids, both of which are good for hair health. Castor oil also aids in protein synthesis, which keeps your hair in a normal growing and resting cycle, shining through the hair and helping prevent excessive hair loss.
- Boosts Hair Growth: You can trust castor oil for hair growth and expect voluminous hair. The oil nourishes the hair follicles by hydrating the hair. Massaging the scalp with hot castor oil will increase blood circulation and boost hair growth.
Castor Oil Uses for Hair: Precautions You Must Take
Though castor oil is safe for hair, there are some castor oil for hair side effects for which you need to take some precautions:
- Castor oil may not help regenerating hair – this aspect needs more research.
- Make sure you check the expiration date mentioned on the bottle of castor oil.
- When using castor oil for hair, you have to remember that after oiling your hair, you may require several applications of shampoo to remove it from your hair completely.
To sum up, a question that is obvious here is whether castor oil is good for hair growth or not. There is no concrete answer to this, as there are not many data samples to support this claim. However, the nutrient value of this oil is beneficial for hair health. But if you are experiencing excessive hair loss, you must not depend on castor oil. Instead, consult your physician and start a course of treatment to cure this issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is castor oil good for hair growth?
As there is no scientific evidence showing that castor oil promotes hair growth, the answer is unknown. Though some people claim it works.
What is the best way to use castor oil for hair?
The best way to use castor oil is to dilute it with coconut or jojoba oil and then use it.
How long should I use castor oil for hair growth?
It should be used once per week and You may have to wait at least 15 to 20 minutes after massaging. Then rinse it with shampoo.