Monsoon is a season of rejuvenation but it can also be the season of hair fall, especially for women. The high humidity levels during the rainy season can make the hair weak, frizzy, and brittle, leading to monsoon hair fall.
But don’t worry, there are several remedies that can help you prevent hair fall during this season. Read on to find out all about the common problem of hair fall during monsoon and how you can avoid it to enjoy this season the way it is meant to be enjoyed.
Why Does Hair Fall Occur in Rainy Season?
Have you ever wondered “does hair fall increase in monsoon?” Well, the answer is a yes. The reasons for increased hair fall in rainy season are attributed to various factors. All these factors together can cause an increase in hair fall during the monsoon season, requiring extra attention to hair care routines.
- Firstly, the changes in the humidity levels in the atmosphere before and after the rain can weaken hair follicles and cause dandruff and dry scalp due to the acidic nature of rainwater.
- Frizzy hair is another problem as moisture is absorbed by hair, causing increased swelling and brittleness, weakening the roots and leading to hair fall in rainy season.
- The high humidity levels during monsoon can remove natural oils from the scalp, leading to a dry scalp and weak roots, further exacerbating the problem of hair fall during monsoon.
- In addition, the growth of bacteria and fungus is encouraged when moisture is trapped in hair during monsoon season, leading to further hair fall issues.
Tips to Avoid Monsoon Hair Fall
Here are some great monsoon tips to remember if you are facing hair fall during monsoon:
- Keep Your Hair Clean and Dry: Washing your hair frequently can help remove the sweat and dirt that accumulates on the scalp. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner to keep your hair healthy. Take time to dry them completely before you tie them.
- Oil Massage: Massaging your scalp with warm oil can help improve blood circulation and nourish the hair follicles. Use coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil to massage your scalp and leave it on for at least an hour before washing it off.
- Avoid Chemical Treatments: Coloring, straightening, or perming during the monsoon season worsen hair health, making your hair weak and brittle, leading to hair fall. In fact, you should also avoid using a brush as it can break your hair. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair instead.
- Use Hair Masks: Use hair masks made from egg white or banana and honey to regularly hydrate, nourish, and fortify your hair. These masks also lend shine to your hair and make them smooth, preventing split ends.
Diet for Healthy Hair in Monsoon
Diet plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy hair. Here are some food items that can help prevent hair fall during monsoon season:
- Protein-rich foods: Include protein-rich foods such as eggs, fish, chicken, and lentils in your diet. Protein is essential for the growth and maintenance of hair.
- Vitamin C-rich foods: Include vitamin C-rich foods such as oranges, lemons, guavas, and kiwis in your diet. Vitamin C helps in the absorption of iron, which is essential for healthy hair growth.
- Iron-rich foods: Include iron-rich foods such as spinach, beans, and nuts in your diet. Iron helps in the production of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to the hair follicles.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, walnuts, and flaxseeds in your diet. Omega-3 fatty acids help maintain healthy hair and scalp.
- Hair Supplements: You can also consume supplements rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids, Biotin, Iron, and Vitamin D to help manage monsoon hair fall. They strengthen your hair and promote healthy growth.
Monsoon hair fall can be frustrating but with proper care, you can prevent it. Keep your hair clean and dry, avoid chemical treatments, and include foods that are essential for your hair in your diet. In addition, regular intake of supplements also helps.