Many people trust home remedies when it comes to hair care or hair problems. And rice starch is one such effective solution. Rice starch is known for improving the appearance of hair, enhancing hair growth and keeping it shiny and smooth. Additionally, rice starch is rich in amino acids, which strengthens hair roots. Read on to learn how rice starch benefits hair health.
What is Rice Starch?
Rice starch is the sticky liquid left after you boil rice in water. That is why it is often addressed as rice water. The two popular rice starch variants that are used for hair care are plain and fermented rice water. With pH levels lower than plain rice water, fermented rice starch helps maintain hydration levels which results in improved hair health. By and large, rice starch is a natural way to condition your hair. Further, rice starch is rich in B vitamins, antioxidants, vitamin E, inositol, fiber, magnesium, zinc and manganese. Also, it helps make your hair smoother, stimulate its growth and enhance its luster.
Rice Starch Benefits for Hair
Rice scratch is rich in various key nutrients, which can help to detangle, increase smoothness, enhance shine and improve the strength of your hair in many ways.
- Vitamin B: Biotin (a B vitamin) plays a significant role in keratin production, which is crucial for healthy hair. It is to be noted that biotin deficiency can lead to hair loss.
- Vitamin E: It helps stimulate hair growth in people suffering from alopecia, which is a condition causing hair loss.
- Inositol: This rice starch component is well-known for strengthening hair. Also, Japanese researchers have developed an imaging technique that visualizes inositol’s hair-strengthening effects.
- Magnesium: Studies have shown that females facing the problem of thinning hair experienced improved hair growth after consuming oral magnesium supplements for 90 to 180 days.
- Zinc: Notably, zinc is considered necessary for hair tissue growth and repair. People with zinc deficiency have experienced reduced hair loss after zinc supplementation.
How to Use Rice Starch for Hair Care?
Rice starch can be used as a hair mask. Here’s how to use it effectively:
- Pour rice starch onto your shampoo-washed hair
- Massage rice starch into your hair and scalp for even distribution
- Allow rice starch to sit for about 20 minutes
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using warm water to remove all traces of rice starch
Also, rice starch can be sprayed onto your scalp/hair. Leave it for some time (20-30 minutes), and then rinse it off.
While using rice starch for hair care is an age-old practice, it has recently gained widespread popularity. Many people have benefited from using rice starch to improve hair texture, strength and growth. However, further research is required to substantiate its benefits. Nevertheless, using rice starch for hair is a safe natural home remedy to try out for great hair.