Houttuynia cordata is a groundcover plant native to Southeast Asia. This herbaceous plant has gained popularity for its potential benefits for hair growth. While it is primarily used for traditional medicinal uses, some properties of this plant also benefit hair health and growth.
What is Houttuynia Cordata?
Houttuynia cordata, also known as Chameleon Plant, is a perennial flowering plant native to southern China, Korea, Japan, and Southeast Asia. Its vibrant tri-coloured leaves have earned it the name Chameleon Plant. In addition to its traditional medicinal use in Asia, it’s gaining western recognition for its immune-boosting, microbiome-supporting, and anti-inflammatory properties, backed by scientific research.
Houttuynia Cordata Benefits
Houttuynia Cordata is primarily employed in traditional medicines, some of its exclusive properties extend Houttuynia benefits to hair health as well. Given below are some ways it can benefit hair growth and health.
1. Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Several bioactive compounds in Houttuynia Cordata, including polyphenols and flavonoids, are known for their potent anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation of the scalp can inhibit the hair growth cycle and lead to hair fall. Using Houttuynia cordata extracts or products may help alleviate inflammation and promote a healthier environment for hair follicles.
2. Antioxidant Effect
Rich in antioxidants such as quercetin, which protects hair follicles from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals, Houttuynia Cordata plays a crucial role in maintaining a conducive environment for hair growth by preserving the structure of hair follicles
3. Improves Scalp Health
Houttuynia Cordata extracts can be used to treat dandruff and scalp infections as it is believed they have antifungal and antibacterial properties. A clean and healthy scalp is critical for hair growth, and this herb can help keep the scalp clean.
4. Boosts Circulation
Hair follicles get the necessary nutrients and oxygen with proper blood circulation to the scalp. Some proponents suggest that Houttuynia Cordata boosts blood circulation and enhances the transmission of nutrients to hair follicles.
5. Inhibition of DHT
DHT or Dihydrotestosterone is a hormone associated with hair loss, especially in cases of androgenetic alopecia. Certain compounds in Houttuynia Cordata may inhibit the activity of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT. By controlling the DHT levels, the chameleon plant may help slow down or prevent hair loss in individuals with genetic susceptibility.
6. Stimulates Hair Follicles
Houttuynia Cordata promotes the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle. This is possible as the plant potentially stimulates the hair follicles, which results in thicker and healthier hair in the long run
How to Use Houttuynia Cordata for Hair Loss?
You can use products with Houttuynia Cordata extract to prevent hair loss.
- Applying Houttuynia Cordata extract to the scalp gives a cooling and relaxing sensation which can be relaxing.
- Massaging your scalp with Houttuynia-infused oil can improve blood circulation, which will help hair follicles receive the nutrients and oxygen required for hair growth.
How to Prepare Houttuynia Cordata Rinse?
Here is a simple way to prepare Houttuynia Cordata extract at home.
- Houttuynia cordata leaves (available in supermarkets as well as online)
- Clean filtered water
- A pot to boil water and steep the leaves
- Strainer to strain the liquid after steeping
If you are growing the Houttuynia Cordata leaves in your garden, clean the leaves thoroughly to remove contaminants.
- Bring around 2 cups or 470 ml of water to a boil
- Chop a handful of Houttuynia cordata leaves and add them to the boiling water
- Reduce the heat and allow the leaves to steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The beneficial compounds infuse into the water.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature
- Strain the liquid with the strainer and store it
How to Use:
- Pour the rinse slowly onto your scalp and ensure that the scalp and hair are thoroughly saturated.
- Massage the scalp for a few minutes.
- This helps improve blood circulation while distributing the rinse evenly.
- Allow the rinse to remain on your scalp for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Later, wash your hair with warm water.
Houttuynia Cordata, rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, fosters a healthy scalp environment for hair growth. It can be applied as oil or a rinse to enhance blood circulation and nutrient delivery to hair follicles. However, it is most effective when integrated into a holistic hair care regimen that includes a balanced diet, proper hygiene, and a healthy lifestyle.