Hair loss is a common concern. It affects millions of people worldwide. While different factors contribute to the mounting trouble, one of the leading causes of hair loss is the high levels of DHT hormone that triggers pattern baldness and hair thinning. Taurine, an amino sulfonic acid compound, is touted as a natural DHT blocker, easing hair loss concerns. Let’s understand all about taurine benefits for hair.
What Is Taurine?
Taurine is a naturally occurring amino acid. It can be obtained through food sources and also produced within the body. Its primary role is to make up keratin, the protein found in the hair strands.
Understanding DHT and Hair Loss
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a hormone derived from testosterone. It plays an important role in the development of male sexual characteristics like the growth of facial hair.
But high levels of DHT in the body affect the hair follicles. The compounds attach to the androgen receptors in the hair follicles, snapping the blood flow to the hair follicles. Reduced nutrition and blood supply to the hair follicles causes them to shrink, a process called miniaturization. This eventually leads to thinner and shorter hair strands and subsequent hair loss over time.
The Science Behind Taurine For Hair
Studies show that taurine possesses natural DHT-blocking properties. The compounds block the harmful effects of DHT on hair follicles in three ways. These include:
- Natural DHT Blocker – The taurine compounds inhibit the activity of 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone into DHT. The reduced levels of DHT in the scalp helps negate the harmful effects on hair follicles.
- Anti-Inflammation Benefits – Chronic inflammation in the scalp induces hair loss. Taurine possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe scalp inflammation, creating a more favorable environment for hair growth.
- Limiting Oxidative Stress – Increased oxidative stress in the body damages hair follicles, accelerating hair loss. Taurine works as a potent antioxidant that fights the free radicals in the body. This safeguards the hair follicles from oxidative damage, promoting a healthier scalp and improved hair growth.
Taurine Benefits For Hair
Taurine’s primary role is blocking DHT hormone. But besides this, it has several other properties that make it an excellent product for hair growth:
- Building Block Of Protein – Taurine is a non-essential amino acid. It is the building block of proteins, primarily keratin, the one found in hair. Higher levels of taurine in the body therefore directly improve keratin levels.
- Blood Circulation – Taurine is found in high concentrations in the heart. It plays a crucial role in the optimum functioning of the cardiovascular system. Improved blood circulation is vital for delivery of essential nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles.
- Sebum Regulation – Taurine helps control excessive sebum production in the scalp which is responsible for clogging hair follicles that leads to hair loss.
Taurine Dosage For Hair Loss
Taurine is a natural compound produced within the body. But the natural aging process and chronic stress cause the levels to deplete. Thus, an intake of taurine through dietary sources becomes important to prevent health concerns. Fish, meat, and dairy products are the foods rich in taurine.
One may also consider oral supplements in capsules, tablets, fluids, and powdered form. But one must be wary of its side effects. Do not take taurine supplements without a medical prescription as excessive intake can trigger health concerns like dehydration, hypoglycemia, digestive and nervous system issues.
Taurine-containing shampoos and conditioners are therefore the best way to enjoy taurine benefits. These products are available over-the-counter. Topical application of taurine-containing haircare products help maintain a healthy scalp that supports hair growth.
Taurine is a naturally occurring amino acid. Its innate ability to remove DHT hormone in the body helps address hair concerns of pattern baldness and hair thinning caused due to shrinking hair follicles. Moreover, taurine helps increase keratin levels in the body which directly improves hair health. Taurine benefits for hair can be safely enjoyed through dietary sources and by using taurine-containing haircare products. However, it is important to exercise caution when taking taurine supplements orally.